Thursday, July 23, 2009

wish and bliss

For someone like me, for whom "happiness" has always been complicated, truly blissful-perfect-in-the-moment moments are fleeting. And since I've had a few of them today, I figured I'd put them somewhere so that I can remember...

walking off the subway platform and hearing someone bust into a great rendition of a song you love - right as the train doors close...
dinner with two great new friends who it feels you've known for a long time...
feeling girly and cute in a new dress...
not having to work tomorrow...
a "can't-put-it-down" book...
a shower, clean pjs, and a glass of red...

Last year I started a book called The Wishing Year. Similar to Eat, Pray, Love, it is about a woman who started using the power of wishes to help her achieve dreams - a man, a house, and inner peace. For the most part it wasn't my kind of book. I don't fit in her target demographic (divorced, 30's, etc.) but one concept she talked about really stuck with me. She said a friend of hers wrote down what she wished for in a man/partner/spouse/whathaveyou and put it under her bed. Six months later she met him. I thought it sounded nice, and though I didn't care for the book I gleaned that the power of wishing comes from the hopeful mindset, I decided to give it a shot. That was April of last year. The lined sheet of notebook paper is still under my mattress. Needless to say the 6 month mark has passed.

I have to remind myself every day to be hopeful, enjoy the present, and since I am a perfectionist and a true Virgo, keep calm and not stress. Being able to revel in the blissful moments and hang on to the wishes, the hopes, and all the while, the reality is a daily struggle. I know it is this way for others as well. This stands as cyber record that today I did it. And tomorrow is always another day (Scarlett).



No comments: