Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dear New York...

Dear New York,

I'm sorry I've been so hard on you lately. I've criticized your busyness and craziness, the constant feeling of competition, your high cost of living, your impossible dating scene, your people in general. I've taken my frustrations about my life out on you. I've turned my nose up at many a dirty subway stop, blamed you for feeling out of place, and mostly, have questioned my commitment to you. It's true, I fleetingly and briefly pondered leaving you and for that I truly apologize.

I've been impossible to live with. I've demanded perfection - that you be something you are not. Much like what is seen on TV and in the movies. As a card carrying perfectionist, I know this is unfair. I know you try the best you can with me to give me what I need and deserve and so far you have made my life great.

Truth is this is the best relationship I've ever had. You've given me so much strength and courage and shown me that I can do anything. Because of you I am a more interesting person, a better friend, a better daughter, and a determined individual. You've taught me that life, even when it is not, is firmly in my grasp. Your buildings give me hope, your streets grant me perspective, and your people give a better knowledge of myself.

I will try to remember that just like me, you are imperfect and realistic. You don't live in a fantasy world. You take the good, bad, and ugly and put them in my face for me to sort out. I will try to grace your sidewalks with gratitude and love - qualities that I can only hope will resonate in me even on the most difficult of days.

Thank you for the memories, stories, experiences, trials, laughter, hope, and general cheese that I can share with others. Thank you for showing me that it is always darkest before the dawn.

All my love,

M


No comments: