Tuesday, April 20, 2010

from pity party to eat your heart out

Earlier tonight I was feeling sorry for myself because I don't have a cutesy New York apartment all to myself (or a cutesy New York room even - I often joke that it looks like a boy's room because it is so bare compared to other girls' dolled up rooms) but that's me: functional and casual.

Then I tried to figure out what to wear tomorrow (I have to be a bit dressier than usual) and I got frustrated because 1) I hate all my clothes (of course) 2) I don't fit in half of the stuff I own (hello, Texas! Thanks for the lbs!) and 3) I'm not walking straight out of Sex and the City. I own like two pairs of heels. Then I remembered that I work in a business casual office where flats are in fashion and cardigans are worn daily and that I'm "on a diet" because of the horrible eating habits that were Winter 2010 and that Carrie Bradshaw couldn't really afford all the stuff she owned in real life anyway. Plus I have an IRA and I'm in my mid-twenties.

Eat your heart out Carrie.

My point, I suppose, is gratitude. My mom mentioned it earlier tonight. It isn't about having "come to Jesus" moments or being thankful to friends, family, etc. for being so awesome, it is about being grateful for the small things... and tonight, while still somewhat in attendance at my own pity party, I am grateful that I am a practical and casual person. Given the life I lead, I think it is safe to say it has served me well.

2 comments:

MCW said...

Great attitude!

DSS said...

Absolutely a great attitude. I think we all need to remind ourselves every so often that most of us do have it pretty good :) Even if we wouldn't ever fit in on SITC...