Tuesday, February 22, 2011

my president's day weekend was . . .


My long holiday weekend was. . .

. . . borderless. I crossed five state lines on the way to and from the Washington, D.C. area. (New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.) As a California girl, I'm pretty obsessed with this fact.


. . . reflective. I went for a bit of a walk in Arlington National Cemetery on a gorgeous serene day. (Note: I did not walk all over the grounds. This marker was right off the path.)

. . . educational. I learned the term for when orangutans swing from limb to limb (brachiate) at the National Zoo, discovered the history of the birth control pill at the Smithsonian American History Museum (I'd been here before but stopped in to check out this exhibit), sampled some of the best museum food and checked out the amazing exhibits at the Smithsonian American Indian Museum and found out you aren't allowed to take photos in the Pentagon Metro Station.


. . . celebratory. I traveled to Mount Vernon where I helped George Washington ring in his 279th with a tour of his mansion, costumed characters, and some very cute, and very friendly sheep.

. . . non-stop. I caught a free show, hoofed it all over, went to a flea market, had nachos and beer at a pub, visited memorials, ooh-ed and aww-ed over lions, and tigers, and bears. Oh my!

What was your weekend?

2 comments:

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Oh fun! Glad you had a good trip. Mount Vernon is so pretty and peaceful!

DSS said...

Wowsers. You blew my weekend out of the water. I adore weekends like this. Don't you?