Sunday, February 28, 2010

shop talk - faves of 2009: Alice in Dystopia

Isn't my entry title clever? I'm quite proud of it.

6. Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
*read in July 2009*

I've previously posted about this one as I had the privilege of reading it several months before it came out. Now, if you go to the front tables at B&N or Borders you'll see it. Especially with the new Alice in Wonderland movie coming out. (Guess who scored free tickets to it! Moi!) If you love historical fiction, children's books, and all things Alice, you'll love this one. It is a novel based on the life of Alice Liddell, the young girl who was the inspiration for this literary mini-heroine. The book is haunting, intriguing and will have you Wikipedia-ing its characters late into the night after you've finished.


5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
*read in June 2009*

Wow. I don't usually like science fiction and dystopian type reads. The only fantasy I embrace is the iconic Mr. Potter only because, well, because he's Harry. But this book blew me away. It is the story of a 16-year-old girl named Katniss who is living in District 12 of Panem (what used to be the U.S.). The Capitol looms over them and as punishment for a war waged and lost against this Big Brother, one person from each district is chosen annually for the Hunger Games. When Katniss is called up she knows that it will likely mean death as she is pitted against others for this televised event that is anyone's game. And if she wants to survive, it must be hers.

This is part of a series and the second book, Catching Fire, is wonderful as well. Inventive, subtle yet forceful and incredibly addictive, everyone must read this. Even if you aren't into these kinds of books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm almost done with Commencement...shoot, I think that's the one with the Smithies, right? I'm terrible with book names. Anyways, it's great, so thanks for that one!