Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"...I gotta feva, and the only prescription is more cowbell."














My cousin, aka A Boy A Girl and a Pug, just posted about her pug's rejection from doggie day care. It's OK pug, we still love you and your craziness!

This reminded me of a memorable weekend I had just recently when I took on the task of dog-sitting for a friend of mine. It was me, two bull dogs, atypical 90 degree weather in a shoebox studio downtown. I knew from the beginning it was going to be interesting...


I'll preface this story by saying I have severe (and I mean severe) puppy fever. I want a pooch the way some women want babies. I'm the nut who stops people on the street and asks "Can I pet him/her?" all the while oohing and ahhing. The bigger the dog, the more nuts I go as I simply cannot fathom how anyone can have a large breed dog in a small Manhattan apartment and large dogs are gorgeous to me. (And I've learned while money can buy more space, the Manhattanite's definition of "space" differs greatly from the rest of the world.)

So when I was asked to watch these guys, I happily obliged. Fast foward to our weekend together. Out of respect for their identities I will refer to them as Sam and Hank. Sam is almost 2 yrs and Hank is still a spunky pup. Nevermind the fact that the dogs' dinner was more complicated than my own (think turkey burgers and sprinkled seasoning). I also had to deal with a pair of bedfellows whose snoring kept me up all night. I don't do snoring. My future husband had better keep this in mind! Finally, on the 2nd night I gave up and moved to the couch so that the boys could have the bed as I couldn't take them wanting to be on top of me anymore. In their defense it was hotter than Hades so walks were difficult (while I did thoroughly enjoy my change of scenery and the revisiting of my old NY digs).

While they are sweet dogs with whom I am happy to spend time, I have since discovered that I am not ready for one of my own. Funny how that works, right? For now I'll settle for petting others' dogs as I walk down the street and then being able to walk away.

The picture isn't either of the dogs. I did get cute, cute pics on my cell phone but I'm a nerd and don't know how to get them from cam to comp.

Oh, and if you can tell me where my post title came from I will be your new best friend.

2 comments:

steph said...

SNL, of course! "And I'd be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band, if I didn’t perform the HELL out of this!"

It's funny that you have puppy fever because I had it too... till I got a dog. I am just unselfish enough to have a dog. But on Saturdays during the summer, when I look at my watch and notice that I've been gone for 6 hours and need to go home to let her out... I remember why not having a dog must be nice.

I always say that getting my beagle, Penny, was the best and the worst decision I ever made.

Glad you stumbled onto my blog! It's been great reading up on your posts!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

I really want a bulldog now!! So cute. But then I think of the bill I just forked out at the vet for pug and reconsider pretty quickly.