Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, Monday (daa daa da-da-da-da)

Normally, like the rest of the free world, I loathe Mondays.

Today was no different. I woke this morning groaning as I trudged out of bed and rushed through my routine to make it out the door on time. Now it is the end of the day and I'm sitting here thinking it wasn't half bad. Lest I forget that Mondays can be kind of great, here's how it went...

8:56 am - I arrive at work, pour my cereal (I eat breakfast at work), and settle into my e-mail inbox.
9:30 am - I haul it upstairs for a meeting. I normally don't attend this meeting but my boss is out of town and she asked me to cover for her. Since I am not her, this consists of me sitting there and taking a few notes as new books for next Spring are announced.
11:00 am - I return from my meeting and head into another meeting with my other boss. We go over the week's events. I have a lot of work to do today. Grand groan of the day #2.
11:30 am - I return to my desk and finally attack the inbox.
around 1:00 pm - I head out for my lunch break. Three cheers for leaving your desk mid-day!
around 2:00 pm - I return and get back to work.
5:20 pm - I head out and rush home to make my laundry date with K who lives down the street.
5:45 pm - I arrive at the laundromat. K is running late so I make a few calls and send a few texts to pass the time during the spin cycle.
6:30ish pm - K arrives as I begin folding. We dish as though we are the only ones in the place (well... we are toward the end).
7:45pm - Having waited out the rain (or so we thought! It poured once we got out there!) we both head home.
8:10pm - I head up last night's dinner leftovers and watch News Hour with Jim Lehrer on PBS. OK, OK I started with Dancing with the Stars, lasted less than five minutes and ended up watching the second half of a Grey's Anatomy rerun on Lifetime.
9:00pm - I put away my folded laundry, check my e-mail, return some and delete others, and read a few blogs while checking some things off the DVR list.
9:30pm - I make my lunch for tomorrow and shower.
10:45pm (now) - Signing off for the night for a little book then bed. Since I have been having a hard time with sleep lately, I've given myself an 11 pm bedtime on weeknights. Generally I try to be in bed reading with everything else off by 10pm but this doesn't always happen.

Normally on Mondays I come home with a headache, get take out or eat cereal for dinner, fall onto the bed and watch TV for hours before I force myself to shut everything off and toss and turn before I make it to sleep at a ridiculous hour. Normally Mondays suck. But today I managed to eat well, be productive, get in some friend time, and take control of my acute case of the Mondays. Today was a pleasant surprise. Let the record show that small things can make a big difference. Let the record show that I took note of the small things today.

2 comments:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Kudos! That's a great Monday! Yesterday I slept in until 9, rolled out of bed and did absolutely nothing for several hours. Then I cursed at myself for ruining my day off with wastefulness

Ms. M said...

Way to make Mondays better! :) I like your bed-time discipline!