Tuesday, June 9, 2009

would you do it?

What's cool about working for a big corporate company are the little things that happen on an almost weekly basis: food drives, blood drives... basically any kind of drive you can think of. Today while on my way down to grab a late lunch, I registered with a bone marrow donor bank that had set up shop in our building.



I signed a piece of paper that says I'm willing to give my bone marrow if I am tested to be a match for a leukemia patient. The odds are 1 in 100, in a lifetime. So I rocked a cheek swab thus handing over my DNA and got this awesome sticker and a little pin for my efforts. When I got back to my desk I was talking with co-workers about it (because who misses a round red sticker on a black top?) One was feeling guilty she didn't get downstairs to sign up and the other felt it was a bit too much of a commitment. She compared it to giving a kidney (half in jest) and while it is not as invasive at all, I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't want to do it.

So for the one or two readers I might have I ask, would you do it? No judging at all - to each his or her own.

2 comments:

a boy a girl and a pug said...

good for you. i probably would...i've just heard it's painful.

you've been busy blogging!

RedCurlGirl said...

good for you! i had my cheek swabbed for the same cause a few weeks back :)